Saturday, June 29, 2019

The Trouble with Wilton's Reds


Variety of Wilton Reds -- Not quite what I wanted.
On the left: Crimson + Red + a drop of black = Rust
On the right: Burgundy came out more fuscia and pink (Sheesh!)


Wilton's Burgundy
For the Burgundy, I used Wilton's icing dye in the crock pot with a splash of vinegar, and 2 balls of yarn.  1 loose, and the other held together in a re-purposed onion bag.  I really like how that worked -- loose enough to hold the ball together, and loose enough to let the dye penetrate.  And not so tight as to act as a resist.

I have to say I was a little concerned about the Burgundy when I first put it into the water.  The pinks struck first -- and since I was not after a pink this time, I panicked a little.  But I waited it out ...  the water was kind of brown -- rusty, the other color I was NOT after that day.  But I've learned to just wait and trust the process.  The colors come together, and in the end, hopefully, it's what you wanted in the first place.  So I waited, and it did come out more like a darker red, but maybe not the burgundy I would have thought.

Another time, I blended Wilton's crimson with red and a touch of black (skein on the left in the photo at the top of the post) hoping for a nice deep wine red, but what came out was a deep rust color -- much more brown / orange than I had wanted.  It's pretty in and of itself, but I can't think of what I'd do with it.  Still morning the lost wine red I was hoping for.  


In the end, I over dyed these with Procion dye (wine red)  and got more of what I was looking for, with subtle gradations.  Yes--I'm happy now. ;-)

No comments: