Thursday, June 11, 2020

Let There Be Scraps ... in Colors You Love


Starting a new scrap quilt with leftovers from a few previous quilts (Aidin's and My Mom & Dad's 50th Anniversary Quilt)  in the color palettes I so adore: Blues and purples.

I took 2-1/2-inch strips and sewed them together, then sub-cut them into 2-1/2 inch blocks.
To then be flipped and sewn to make the 4-patches.


I found the basic pattern is "Blue Lagoon" from the book Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam and Micky Lintott.

You can also purchase the Blue Lagoon pattern by itself from The Quilt Room in the UK as a digital download.

Though -- To be honest, I started this without the published pattern and made some educated guesses as to what I'd need as far as 40 strips paired light/medium to dark with equivalent sashing and cornerstones.  It's not rocket science.

The question now:  Do I make a set multiple blocks the same, or do I mix them up to make it look even scrappier?  I made up a few mixed 4-patches, but then decided to be consistent, and just go with the flipped 4-patch with just 2 colors / fabrics.

This is the kind of thing that would be perfect for Quilt Camp.  Simple sewing, but easy enough to have a conversation with the ladies around you.  And they can weigh in on the creative questions that come up with placement.

Here are some of the sub-cut strips sets ready to be 4-patched.

At present, I am at my parents house helping with end-of-life care for my mom.  I've been spending some time in her very well-equipped sewing room in the evenings while Dad watches / sleeps through his CSI-type tv shows.  We are tag-teaming the care giving.  He can sit with my mom (who is actively dying) for those hours, and I can be off-duty for a little while.  It gives me a break and a chance to recharge.  I get to listen to Goo Goo Dolls, then, too.  At home, I don't usually sew in the evenings after work because I'm tired and I usually end up making some kind of dopey mistake if I sew in the evenings. 

Sashing Blocks
Looking forward to seeing how this one develops.  I have  white-ish fabric for the sashing between blocks.

The next step is to lay everything out on the design wall.  That is one thing my mom does not have, so I'll have to wait until I get back home for the next step.  The work continues ... 

No comments: