Sunday, December 20, 2020

Back on the Weaving Saddle Again : Beginning the Evergreen Circle Scarf

Starting the Evergreen Circles Scarf

At long last! I am weaving again.  It's taken me a few weeks to get up the gumption to tackle the threading error I knew was there.  I have to wait for the weekend because I work during the week, and need the natural light to assist with clear vision.  Black warp is hard to see ...

Turns out I was missing 1 set of 4 threads and heddles on the left side.  That's why the circle in the first sample looked a bit off.  Hail to sampling and testing!   That also let me see that the yarn with a gradient wasn't going to work for this very precise pattern.  It took a good part of the afternoon to set things right -- and just a little bit of swearing, but ...   Now we're back on track and I love the way this looks so far. Whoo-hooh!  It is a very satisfying pattern once everything is set up properly.

 

Treadle Tracking Beads

Once again, the beads keeping track of the treadle pattern have been a godsend!  There are 72 steps to a single pattern repeat on my 4-shaft loom with 6 treadles -- and I use every one!

It's fun to weave once the loom has been warped and threaded--correctly.  It's still not my favorite part of the process, but I've made my peace with it.  If you are going to weave, you have to understand that warping and threading is part of the whole package.    I know enough now that I can fix the problems that come up -- though sometimes I have to sleep on it for a few days to figure out what to do, and the best way to approach it.   Like quilting, weaving is a good exercise in project management start to finish!

 Detail of Evergreen Circle Weave Scarf 

Yarn is alpaca and highland wool, dyed by me.  

 


Warp strings running through the tension device at the back of the loom -- nice and orderly!

Also satisfying!


2 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Well, you picked my favorite color there - so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work Merry Christmas!
--Joanne Drake