Monday, July 12, 2021

Progress on The Morningstar Quilt - Borders

This Morningstar Quilt has been stalled out for a couple of years now. Even during the pandemic, I couldn't bring myself to work on the background fills of the applique blocks to finish them off.  So I set that aside in favor of the outer borders, hoping inspiration might strike as to a solution for those forever backgrounds.

 

This is how I worked it up in You Doodle Pro, where I can draw on a photo, to get an idea of how the stitching might look.  I never intended to use a green thread -- It just showed up better here.

Here it is stitched out.  One pass in the purple, and a second pass with the tangerine thread.   The thread colors were meant to be subtle.   You can see I was using the black "beads" in the border as landmarks for the larger loops.

 It's probably easier to see from the back, with those interlocking loops.  The second smaller set of loops was fund to do -- The larger loops were a bit too big -- I'd get lost moving from 1 black bead to one on the other side. But I made it work.

Here are the undulating waves in the black border, stitched out with red thread.

Next Steps:

I could move on to the binding, but I still need to finish the backgrounds on the corner applique blocks. 



No comments: