Saturday, April 09, 2022

Emerging ... on the Loom

 

I wanted to share the progress on the Faux Ikat Scarf. Today I wove into the blue / purple parts.  I was excited to see how that would look ...  I knew that the weave pattern would show up better in the blue/purple parts.

Usually, I am very disappointed when a beautifully dyed warp disappears under a white weft, but in this case, it was exactly the effect I was after.  I wanted it to look a little like grunge with bits of wallpaper peeling off in places, but still intact in others ... 

Emerging and subsiding into the background.

Kind of a nice theme for spring, and for beginning to go out into the world again after 2 years cocooning during the pandemic.

 

This is a slightly different weave pattern than I started with last week.  I think I like this one better! 

When I dyed the warp, I did it in 10-inch increments.  Perhaps I should have used shorter increments?  We shall see when it's all done ... 

This is a pretty common twill structure.  This is how I worked it up on the iPad from iWeaveIt of the 2nd twill pattern.  This one seems to be working better than the first one.

 

 

I am very please with how this is going.  I have to remember to be gentle with beating on this project.  It's not a rug.  If I beat too hard, the wefts get too compacted and squashed.  But if I gently "lay them in place," things seem to look better.

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Such an interesting effect. Really like that weave pattern.