Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Planning a Woven Coverlet: Governor's Garden aka Mountain Cucumber

Dreaming Big!

This week, I stumbled upon this coverlet for sale on eBay.  It's beyond my price range, but I think it is something I could make on my 4-shaft floor loom--in 3 panels.  I am fascinated with the pattern, including the border.  

I have several books of weaving patterns, and I've been studying them for months. As well as purchasing actual coverlets as a collector on eBay and Etsy and FB  Marketplace.  It's the only way to see these up close and personal without traveling to museums to see them--and even there, you can't touch them.  I've been considering possible patterns for making my own coverlet. But up until now, I have not been committed to any one design.


Abe Lincoln and McClellen at Anteitem.  Note the coverlet on the left side of the tent.  Read more about it here.  Rita Hagenbruch even made a reproduction version of this coverlet and wrote about it in the November / December 2010 issue of Handwoven Magazine.

I thought it might be the same as the Antietam coverlet seen with a famous photo of Abe Lincoln with McClellen during the Civil War.  But it's not quite the same pattern ...   [Please don't read anything into my interest in a Civil War era coverlet.  It's about the weaving, not any political proclivities.]

I like the octagonal designs coupled with the tables (squares) and the wagon wheels.  Also the alternating light and dark squares.  This pattern has a lot going on!  Enough to keep me interested for a long-term project.

 

Once I saw a closeup shot of the eBay coverlet, with those wiggly wormy wavy bits, I was able to identify the weave pattern as Governor's Garden, which is mapped out in Carol Strickler's book on American Woven Coverlets on page 142.   It's also known as Mountain Cucumber and is a relative of St Ann's Robe.  It's also sometimes called Freemason's Felicity.

I know I've seen these names for weaving drafts before, but of course now that I'm actively looking for them, I'm not finding them, or if I do, it's not quite this pattern.  I have a draft that will work, so there's really no need to look further. ;-)

 

I worked it up in my iWeaveIt App on my iPad, which is great for helping me visualize what the larger overall pattern will look like -- and if there are any mistakes in the draft as written.  And helping me figure out specifics like how many heddles per shaft, and yarn requirements for warp and weft.

I'll have to work on figuring out that very  pleasing border.  I don't think I'll be able to do side borders--my loom just isn't wide enough to make that feasible, but I think I can do top and bottom borders.

I've spent a good share of my free time this year reading up and studying woven coverlets -- in books, on the web, and purchasing actual specimens so I can see them up close. ;-) 

 I am using this issue of The Shuttle Craft Newsletter to help me plan the project--or at least get started.

I already have the navy blue wool for the pattern weft.  I'm trying to decide on what size for the cotton warp and tabby weft. I had such a good experience with American Maid cotton on the bath towels project earlier this year (not 1 broken string!), that I think I'll use the 10/2 natural white cotton for warp and 20/2 for the tabby.   How much to order?  I'll start with 1 pound of each. I should be able to get more if I need it.

Here are some other classic references for weaving coverlets that I've been using in my research this year:

[Note: Most of these books are now out-of-print.  Pricing seems to depend on availability at any given time.  As of today, prices seem quite a bit higher than when I purchased them earlier this year, so if you're interested, you might want to wait until prices come down a bit -- or ask for it for Christmas!]



It includes some great worksheets for figuring out yardages for warp and weft.  The author actually created the coverlet on the cover, and the book is what she learned along the way, formatted in such a way to help other weavers wanting to embark on a similar journey.



This one is a great introductory resource. She covers everything from the basics to identifying patterns, caring and cleaning of coverlets. She also includes weaving drafts for several common patterns in case you want to try one yourself!

This book has a workable pattern draft for Governor's Garden on p.142 that I will try to use.  ;-)

I still need to figure out the border ...  although my weaving 29-inch weaving width might not allow for including a border.  More calculations and planning are in order! 

 

 

No comments: