Sunday, February 05, 2023

Antique Mountain Cucumber Coverlet - Purchased


Ok Ok -- One last antique wool coverlet.  I've been watching this one on ebay, and knew that I would be very sad if it sold to someone else, so I made the seller an offer for lower than the list price, and they took it.  I am going to try to weave one in this pattern known as Mountain Cucumber, sometimes called Governor's Garden or St Anne's Robe.  I have not seen any other ones of this pattern on the market, so one more reason to NOT let it slip on by.  Tell Marie Kondo this one definitely sparks joy for me!  And if the one I make turns out to be a disaster with the panels not matching up, and the border botched, well then, I'll still have a "real one."

There is so much going on in this pattern that is holds my interest with an eternal fascination.  I love the squiggly, wormy lines along with the wagon wheels and the tables.  And the borders, too.    I am going to try to replicate it this year.  We'll see how far I get. This will be an ambitious project!


From the original eBay post:

eBay item number:125619730002

Antique Vintage Linsey Woolsey Overshot Coverlet Blue Textile Weaving 184 x 74

Antique Vintage Linsey Woolsey Overshot Coverlet Blue Textile Quilt Weaving 


Available is this large antique 1800’s Linsey Woolsey.  It is a gorgeous piece of antique hand made weaving and features a nice design in alternating blue and off white.  The piece is antique linen homespun and navy blue wool.  The linen warp is unbleached or has yellowed a bit over time.  There is a seam up the middle where two smaller sections have been joined together.  


The piece is quite large for a weaving of its type at 184 x 74.5 inches.  It does have some condition issues, irregular borders, a few small holes, repairs, a patch, and stains.  It displays nicely and is still in good overall condition.  From an estate - exact age and history are unknown. 

Item specifics

Condition:Pre-owned:
Seller Notes:“Please review photos and written description - some condition issues”
Pattern:Geometric
Time Period Manufactured:1850-1899
Material:Linen, Wool
Fabric Weight:Medium
Brand:Unbranded
Style:Country
Antique:Yes
Color:Blue
Original/Licensed Reproduction:Original
Type:Bed Cover
 














No comments: