Sunday, August 27, 2023

Half Way There on The Mountain Cucumber Coverlet

 

Be brave and cut your cloth.  I used 2 lines of red thread as a cutting guide.

VIDEO - Unfurling the first 2 panels of The Mountain Cucumber Coverlet

Unrolling the first 2 panels of The Mountain Cucumber Coverlet.
This shows the underside.

I am so pleased with how this is coming out!   I LOVE this pattern.  There is so much going on in it to hold one's interest.  I've already decided to make another one and set it up on the bigger, wider 8-shaft loom with a sectional warp to manage more even tension.
 

I am making progress on this epic coverlet project.  I've been trying to weave 1 15-inch block every weekend since I started.  It takes me about 3 hours to weave 15 inches on this coverlet.  That's nearly 300 pattern shuttle throws (thicker blue yarn) and just as many tabby throws (natural cotton) right behind for each block.  That means about 600 passes of the shuttle per 15 inch block.

After I finished the 2nd of 4 panels, I cut it off the loom.  Because it was such a long warp at 15 yards, there were some tension issues at the edges.  Although I separated the warp with paper between each layer, it "cigared" at the edges, and I had to do all sorts of things to correct it so that I'd maintain a straight fell line.  Better to cut it off half way and make adjustments with a fresh tie-on.  


 

The Worms Converging (or maybe cucumber vines?)

 


 

This photo compares the worms on the front and back sides of the cloth.


 

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

WOW!!! Nothing more to say - pretty speechless over this.