Saturday, March 30, 2024

Retrofit LeClerc Sectional Warp Beam on The Big Kessenich Loom

Last summer, I got a rare bonus at work, and decided to purchase a sectional warp beam for the Big Loom.  Mary Meigs Atwater even says sectional warping is the way to go for hassle-free weaving, because it mitigates so many tension issues.   But when I called Kessenich Looms to order one, Bruce the proprietor said he's moving into retirement and spends his days talking to Kessenich Loom owners and won't make a sectional warp unless I order a whole new loom -- which I'm not going to do.  He thought I could make one myself or find a local woodworker to do it.  Easy for him to suggest that!

I wound up buying the LeClerc (a Canadian company) sectional warp rails from The Woolery.   Since then, My Dear Husband has been planning and figuring out how to retrofit them for my 1960s Kessenich loom.  He has so many notes about it, I'm sure he will do a guest post about what he did in case anyone else wants to try it.

1 trip around the rails equals about 1 yard, so that will make it easy to count when I'm winding on.

And the unit is easily removable for when I need to switch the tie ups for the treadles.  The old warp reel is still there if I want to use that one, too.  They use the same crank.  

1 comment:

Leigh said...

I have no experience with sectional warping, but it definitely looks complicated! But then, everything new seems complicated. It will be interesting to see what you think about how it effects tension, once you get the hang of it.