Friday, May 31, 2019

Sakura Dyed Yarn


I did it!  I've been thinking about this one for years!

I let 2 hanks of yarn (I'm using Marly Bird's Chic Sheep Lace as a base) warm up in the crock pot as the water came to temperature.  When it was hot, I pulled out the yarn, temporarily.   Added 3 T. white vinegar.


In a separate smaller jar of hot water, I dissolved 2 drops of Wilton's PINK from their color-right system.   Yes-- 2 drops was all it took to get this!  When the drops had dissolved, I poured it into the crock pot, but did not stir.

Then I plopped the hanks of yarn back in.  It picked up the color where it lay.  I did not stir, as I wanted there to be some white left on the yarn.

I let that sit for a few hours at temperature for the colors to set.
Rinse and dry the Sakura blossom yarn.


Stage 2: Dry Rub
I wanted some bit of gray on this yarn to simulate the cherry tree trunk.  I decided to use the dry rub technique demonstrated in this video by Rebecca at ChemKnits :




Come to think of it, I might want to try this again doing it ALL with the dry rub technique.

The black was meant to be the tree trucks, to anchor all that fizzy pink. 

 Although I had intended for black or gray, Wilton's black has more nuance to it -- with burgundy and green in it. 

Even a little purple.

No comments: