Sunday, May 31, 2020

New Beginnings: Purple Rain Socks


Starting a new pair of socks on the knitting looms.  Working both socks at the same time improves the likelihood that I'll actually finish them.

 Purple Rain gradient yarn.


The Purple Rain   gradient yarn was dyed back in April 2019 after watching a video from ChemKnits.  Pretty stuff!

These loom knit socks always start with the Kitchener stitch for a seamless join under the ball of the foot.    It gives sort of a "woven" feel to the beginning.


Since it was dyed originally with a knitted blank, I was wondering how the colors would behave when re-knit into a sock.   It's a more solid color texture than I'm used to with the ball-dyed yarn (which I absolutely love!). 


Here's the inside of the sock as it is knitting up.  Kind of like purple iris pointalism.
The purls are on the inside of the sock, making them nice and bouncy / cushy.

I am using hand-dyed Chic Sheep 100% merino wool yarn.

  Since I'm away from home at the moment, I don't have my hand-cranked ball winder for yarn.  So I had to ball it by hand.  Jut thought you might want to see what the ball looks like.

No comments: