Sunday, September 26, 2021

Heart of Winter Quilt Finished


Heart of Winter Quilt [wall hanging]

This was a pattern and kit that I bought at Going to Pieces Quilt Shop in Appleton, WI, last year.  I was enamored with some of the winter fabrics and bought extra for the Winter Blues [Starlight] Quilt.  I fell in love with those silvery, frosty trees. So many good winter memories!

It's quilted with a simple 2-inch grid on the diagonal with the walking foot.   This seems to be my go-to gitt'er done quilting design these days.  I started with the red heart square and tried to make the diagonal lines highlight that one especially, so it would pop out.  That seemed to work out well, though the quilting lines didn't quite line up right for some of the other squares. 

I altered the pattern [and kit] slightly to add this single cranberry red square.  The overall theme is chickadees -- which I absolutely love!  But I was also thinking about my mom having died earlier in the year, which made me think of cardinals -- another one of my favorite winter birds in WI.  


 

I've been attaching the quilt labels in one of the lower corners of the quilt, so that the seam lines mirror the binding and don't otherwise take away from the quilting on the front. 

I used to always use Hobbs 80/20 batting, but since I started using wool bats, I feel the need to include that info on the label so I know how to launder / care for it in future. 

Previous Posts on this Project:

Heart of Winter Quilt Top

No comments: