Sunday, September 05, 2021

Holly's Memorial Christmas Quilt

 
Holly's Memorial Christmas Quilt

This has been a good year for finishes!

This is the Christmas Quilt I made last summer after my mom died.   She was born on Christmas Day, so Christmases were always merry and bright, until she got sick ...  I never really did much to decorate my house at Christmas because my mom always did enough for everyone!  Now, I feel like I've got to do something to recognize the season and remember her.

When it came to quilting this one, I considered using a holly and Christmas ornament motif, but realized it wouldn't really show up on this "wild" Christmas quilt.  Some quilts are more in the mode of "Getter done" where I opt for a quick quilting treatment -- like this 2-inch grid.

I used this green variegated thread for the quilting.  It blends nicely with the riot of colors and patterns in the middle.  And still looks nice on the creamy border, too.  




The batting is wool (which has been my go-to lately).  I figure this is a Christmas quilt when weather will be colder, so it's only fitting to have a wool quilt on the back of the couch for when you need it in winter.  I am really happy with the puffiness of this quilt.  It was not hard to handle quilting either.  Very nice batt!

 Here's the label, hand written.  I've started sewing them into the corners so they are easier to find.

The backing fabric has holly and cardinals.  Some say that loved ones peak through cardinals ...  I'll go along with that, since we have a pair in our neighborhood / yard.

 


This is the Double Slice Layer Cake pattern with Christmas fabrics.  In the video above, Jenny Doan at Missouri Quilts demonstrates. 


Here the previous post about this quilt:

Holly's Christmas Quilt: 2 Slice Layer Cake Christmas Quilt Top


Holly Matucheski

1950 - 2020

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

A very nice quilt for the back of the sofa to pull over you when needed this holiday season. A very nice tribute to your mom and her love of decorating for not just Christmas but her birthday. You are reminding me that I too have some Christmas fabric and plaids meant for a holiday quilt - even have the backing and know how I'd like to quilt it. A project on my mind since before I moved to Idaho in 2006. I had actually hoped I could maybe start it this year but I am behind on the things I have on my list to finish. Just not making the sort of progress I'd hoped. But you inspire with all your projects crossing the finish line. :-)