Sunday, December 04, 2022

Collectible Cathedral Windows in Reds and Purples

Vintage (or is it antique?) Cathedral Windows in Reds and Purples. 


This is another Cathedral Windows Quilt that I purchased on FB Marketplace.  I know how much work these are, so I appreciate that someone did this all by hand BEFORE me.  I am not willing or able to make something like this in this size; hence, that is the reason for purchasing it as a collectible quilt.  I will give it a good and appreciative home!

It comes from a seller in Southern California.  I love the combination of reds and purples.  60 x 75 inches.


It is bigger than I thought it would be!  It almost covers our double bed.  I was thinking it would be a wall hanging.  The seller said that it needed to be finished off ...  There is 1 corner that was not finished.  One row of blocks is pinned and ready to be hand-sewn onto the rest of the quilt, but that would leave a row of "empty" windows in between ...  


There is one more shorter row of blocks, but I'm not sure where it goes.  No other fabric to finish it off -- and I'll never find matching colors or fabrics.


 

Yes-- it came with the pins in that last corner. 


I'll have to consult with the Ladies at Quilt Guild (Laura R. and Pat Saft) about what to do with this unfinished beauty.  Maybe sew on the last row and leave the missing corner open?  It could hang that way ...  We'll see.  It's very heavy, and very well done -- as far as the maker got with it.  

I love it! 

The following pics are from the seller's post on FB Marketplace:



Another shot of those very fine and even stitches.

The edges have these sort of prairie points. 
If you added another block, it would be filled in with a window.

Look at those perfect stitches! 
By their very nature, these quilts have to be hand-sewn.

Contrasting worlds with the front and back sides.

From the back, you can see the hand stitching.

 WOW!
 

THANK YOU to the unknown Quilter who made this wonderful quilt!  I DO appreciate what you've done here.  ;-)

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Those fabrics do not look old to me so I don't think this is an antique. I made a handful of this kind of block early on in my quilting career and decided this was not for me. But I do love the look of the block, and this quilt was a huge commitment.