The new project is for a new coverlet -- which should keep me busy for a few months. I'm retired now, so I am no longer limited to weaving only on Sundays. Hurray!
This pattern is from the Helen Bress Book #258, but I think I've seen it listed elsewhere as Church Windows (???) It's an overshot pattern, which means there will be a white tabby between each of the colored yarns in the weft.
There are 3 repeats of this pattern across 28 inches.
I am planning to do 3 or 4 90-inch long panels that will be sewn together in a final piece big enough for my bed.
There are so many steps to setting up a loom for weaving. It can take as long to set up as it does to actually make cloth -- which is the fun part! But if I want to weave, I've have to make peace with the set-up process. The set-up is just as much a part of weaving as making the cloth.
I threaded all those warp strings through the 681 heddles over 3 days. It didn't take as long as I thought it would--only about 4-5 hours. That's a new record for me! This is the important step that essentially programs the loom to make the design, in combination with treadling.
After that, it's sleying the reed in the beater bar. I usually lay it down for this step, which makes it easier on my body.
It looks like I missed a few slots, but I don't think that will be a problem, if the heddles are threaded correctly. It will just even out as I weave.
The next step is to tie onto the front beam. It went better this time than it's ever gone! This is usually a very frustrating step in trying to get even tension. Because I spent the time and effort to correct the winding on step, it helped prevent problems at this step -- proving that it was worth spending the time and effort to make those corrections! Vindicated!
I tied on each 1-inch bundle with 24 threads--which worked very well!
I checked both the plain weave sheds, and did not detect ant crossed threads or other problems that can show up at this stage. Hurray for double-shecking my work as I threaded!
I am using single spun wool yarn (which is traditional for coverlets), sport weight from Maritime Family Fiber in Maine, though this yarn comes from Canada. This is the teal. It reads bluer in the photo than it is in real life.
1 4-oz. skein / cake fills 7-1/2 7-inch bobbins for my large boat shuttle.
1-4-oz skein / ball is 430 yards. (They come in skeins, which I had to wind into balls.) I will keep notes on how far a bobbin weaves, and how many bobbins I will need for this project.
I'll have to do some experimenting before I start in on the coverlet. I may need to make some adjustments to the treadling, as I am not sure the pattern has accounted for the tabby wefts. It may be too elongated as written. That's why I ran some extra yardage for the warp. I'll save that for tomorrow!
I am so excited and happy to be this close to weaving again!



No comments:
Post a Comment