Sunday, March 03, 2019

Purple Alpaca Wristers and progress on the KB Sock Loom


Made this morning on the Addi Express Knitting Machine.  This is 3 strands of a fine alpaca yarn someone gave me a while back.   Basic instructions in this video.    These are toasty and warm.  I'm hoping this yarn won't pill up like the black acrylic did.

Here's the yarn I used.  Someone gave me a nice big bag of it a few years ago.  It looks nicer worked up with multiple strands than it does with the single strands.  Funny how that works!



I also worked up a sample swatch of this multi-blue wool yarn that I dyed with my friend Lynda a few years ago.  I was wondering how that might look in a pair of socks.  Not bad!  Just means I need to dye up enough to make a pair.

Just bought a stock of 10 skeins of Merino Wool during the 30% off yarn sale at Joann's.   Looks like I was just in time yesterday for the sale, as now they are back up to full price.   Lynda and I have another Colors / Dying date next week.  I'll have to think about what color combinations I want in the meantime.  And how big to wind the hanks for socks.  

I got the KB His and Hers Sock Loom set.  It's plastic, so the pegs have a little give to them.  I was having a tough time with the original KB adjustable sock loom with metal pegs for a number of reasons.  This one works a lot easier for me.  I am practicing with some wool yarn -- just cheap nothing-special Fisherman's Wool.  I've been ooh-ing and ahh-ing over the great variety of sock yarns out there.  Most of which I can't get locally, but would have to order online.  I really want to FEEL it before I buy it, and I'd also like to know how it will knit up before putting a lot of time and effort into it.  Of course that sends me down yet another rabbit hole of DIY dying ... and makes me want to play with colors again.

The photo above shows the emerging toe box, with the requisite decreased and increased stitches. It's kind of amazing to be creating things in 3D like this, to see it emerging from below.  

This is the back side of the photo above.  This shows the Kitchener Cast-on (not unlike weaving).  This will get cinched up later on, closing the seam at the ball of the foot.

Here's the view from the inside.  Nice and orderly.  
This is what I've gotten done since Friday evening.  Not bad for a knitting meditation.

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh, I want to steal those purple alpaca wristers! I knit myself a nifty short scarf that acts like a cowl, 3 buttons to close it into place, from some local alpaca yarn. I have been amazed at how much warmer it keeps my neck than anything else I've worn, and I haven't had an issue with pilling. You will LOVE wearing these!