Sunday, January 05, 2020

Poppa's Leafy Green Socks


 A new pair of socks for my DH. 

They fit!  They fit!  Even though they look really big as they were growing out the bottom of the loom.  I had to bind them up with a rubber band to keep they tucked up and out of the way as I worked.   







I asked him what color he wanted and he said green, so of course I had to first dye they yarn back in November.  Leaf Green Procion dye on 2 balls of 100% merino yarn (Chic Sheep).  I used the same method as explained in this post.   They were dyed in the same pot at the same time, and still came out with slight variations, but are still close enough to be a pair.


The specifics of the pattern re-sized for his foot:

     Kitchener Cast-on (I like this because it feels like weaving, and leaved a seamless join)
     Work the toe box with with 10 decreases / increases
     Then start working in the round for  85 rows
     Work the heel with 12 decreases / increases on the opposite half of the toe
     Work in the round 50 rows for leg
     For Ribbed Cuff: 30 rows of 2 Knit and 2 Purl
     Super Stretchy Bind off.

Detail of the ribbed cuff made with 2K 2P for 30 rows.

This time, I marked the pegs to KNIT with rubber bands.  This helped keep me on track for the K2-P2 rows for the cuff of the leg.    It was easier to knit the marked pegs, as purling would catch the rubber bands on the down stroke.  Here you can see the super stretchy cast-off ready to be popped off the loom.




What to do next?
I have a new stash of Knit Picks yarn from the November sales.  I want to try some of the finer sock yarns as these socks are nice and toasty, but the Chic Sheep yarn is too thick to wear  in my every day work shoes.  Not sure if that means I need a finer gauge knitting loom (3/16?) to go with the finer fingerling yarns?  That will take some experimentation ... 

No comments: