Sunday, January 26, 2020

Testing Paton's Sock Yarn on the 1/4-inch Knitting Loom

Half of the foot is knitted already.  10 more rows before I can start to turn the heel.

I am testing Paton's sock yarn on the CinDWood 1/4-in Knitted Knocker 56-peg loom -- which has become my standard with the cushier Chic Sheep Yarn by Marly Bird.  But those create a thicker sock, that is fine for slippers or boots, but I'd need a bigger shoe to wear them to work.  Hence, I am testing a thinner yarn ...  I think the 1/4-inch gauge is the same as the KB Knitting looms.

Paton's sock yarn is rated at a 1 gauge, which means it's a finer yarn.  I suspect socks made with this finer yarn can be warn in the shoes I wear for work--like normal people!  Paton's is readily available at local craft stores, meaning I wouldn't have to order online unless I wanted specific colors (and oh--the colors!)

My real reason for testing this yarn is to decide if I need a new CinDWood loom in the 3/16-in gauge sock looms for finer yarns like this.   Then the next question is: If so, would I need the 64 or 72 peg variety to fit my foot?

Paton's sock yarn seems to be knitting up just fine on the 1/4-inch loom.  It's not coming out lacey or holey, or too tight to get my foot into it.  It's a thinner sock, but still has nice stretch to it.  The inside seems to be nice and cushion-y.   I am wondering if it will be a smaller sock overall -- which would require more pegs to make up the difference for the finer/thinner  yarn.  l suspect I'll have to add more rows to make up the difference.

This photo compares the size of the resulting knit on the 1/4-inch Knitted Knocker Loom.  The speckled Marly Bird Chic Sheep yarn  creates a bigger and thicker stitch-- as expected.  It's a thicker, loftier yarn.  



Here are the yarn labels comparing Marly Bird sample with Paton's.
There's a 4-to-1 difference.  The finer yarn creates a finer knit. 

So far as I can tell, Paton's sock yarn on my standard Knitted Knocker CinDWood look will work out just fine for my feet.   I'll have to find another reason to order other CinDWood looms.  ;-)

I caught some of Scarlet Royal's  live session on Facebook last week.  She held a question and answer session featuring her new book: Any Sock, Any Toe, Any Heel: Loom It!   She confirmed that for her (and all the socks she's made in her life), the 1/4-in loom is her standard.  She doesn't really go finer than that.

If you are interested in learning more, Hypnotic Hysteria is starting up a Knit-Along for making house socks on a knitting loom.  She's the one I learned from.  Once you have the basics, you can go anywhere!   She is also re-posting many of her videos that were lost last year when her account was hacked.

No comments: