Sunday, July 03, 2022

Vintage Quilts: 1960s Cathedral Windows

Collectible Cathedral Windows Quilt

I got this one on ebay as well.  It was listed as a table cloth -- though, I would never want to use this on the table!  I'm going to hang it on the wall ...  It's 30 x 40 inches, so not big enough for a bed.  It just makes me happy to look at it!

Unlike the vintage Wedding Ring Quilt I purchased this week, I believe this one really is from the 1960s, and it is old enough to be called antique.  The fabrics are thick and sturdy -- similar to a quilt that my Aunt made from about that time.


No batting, as is traditional for this type of quilt.  The background fabric gets folded and layered multiple times, adding to the weight of these quilts.  Look at all those fine little stitches!

The stitching is very well done -- Much better than I do with hand-stitching!


It does not have a label, but I see a couple  of these horse patches that say, "Remember me when you see this."  Who was this nameless woman?

Here's another detail shot of some of the individual patches.


 My Own Cathedral Windows Quiltlet

Several years ago, I worked up a mini-Cathedral Windows Quiltet.  It was the handwork I would take along to France for several trips.  I tried to work up 1 window each day on those trips.  My handwork has never been great, although it did improve with that project.  All the colored squares were scraps, leftover from other projects -- If I think about it, I can even tell you all the other projects those particular fabrics appeared in.  ;-)   The point is: I know what it takes to make something like this, and I have tremendous respect for the maker, and I'm willing to pay $112 to own this larger example at the top of this post.

Yes, I'm officially a collector now!

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

What a happy happy quilt! No wonder you want to hang it on the wall. I too have tried my hand at this "block" making enough squares to sew together to make a yard stick holder and struggling the whole way. I have to admit though that the fabric I used was left over from dressmaking and so was a poly blend and didn't hold a crease which made the turn-unders a challenge. Plus I hadn't done much if any applique at the time. Maybe I'd fare better today but it is yet another quilt design I decided to leave to others. Like you it gave me a better appreciation for those who make cathedral window quilts no matter what the size.