Sunday, February 09, 2020

DIY Heddle Threader


While I'm on the bandwagon to make my own heddles, I thought it would also be useful and helpful to make a couple of glass bead heddle threaders.  This is based on a similar model I purchased a while back for threading fiber through a diz in preparation for spinning.   The same principle will work for threading heddles, too.


I've had these beautiful flat art glass beads in my crafter's stash, waiting to be used for something someday.   I picked up some nylon-coated steel beading wire (Similar to Tigertail) and some crimping beads, along with some other beads from my stash.

The beading wire is coated, and it will kink where you bend it--such as the point of our threading loop.

The crimping beads hold the wire and the other beads in place.  I did not buy the special crimping tool, but made due with the pliers already in my toolbox.  It worked well enough to get the job done.

If you're wondering how it works (and I know you are!), here's a brief description/ procedure:

  1.   From the front of your rigid heddle, poke the threader through the hole or slot.
  2. On the back side, thread the warp string through the much larger threader loop.
  3. Pull it through for trouble free heddle threading.
Still can't picture it?  Here's a very 30-second video demo:

  
Demonstrating howto use a Glass Bead Rigid Heddle Threader.



I had 2 glass beads, so I made heddle threaders.   
Aren't they pretty?

No comments: