Sunday, February 23, 2020

Follow-up on the DIY Vertical Warping Mill


I've had a couple of question about the making of my DIY Vertical Warping Mill from a few years ago.    I thought it would be best if my husband, Christian Long, answered the questions in this guest post, since he made it for me.

There are some plans available online that we consulted for the making of it, but did not follow exactly.   These are the links I sent to DH as possoble plans and ideas for making a vertical warping mill:

Foot-power loom weaving
      See plans on page 13

Photo of a very simple Warping Mill

Ravelry: knit4fun972's DIY Warping Mill
      This one looks a little clunky, but it would get the job done.


Plans for sale ($5.50) - Though I'd want a vertical one

Here's the question from
tbijourney said...
I'm interested in undertaking a project like this. I'm not much of a woodworker, more of a fixer and rough project doer but interested in making my own weaving gadgets. Most things I can figure out from the photos, but am unsure what the pipe goes into at the top and bottom to support it and to allow for almost silent turning.

The warping mill is in two parts - a stationary base and a rotating upper part.



The base is a piece of plywood with a length of 1/2" (nominal) black pipe attached using a pipe flange.



I cut out a little piece of plastic to serve as the bearing. This is a piece of UHMW, but any smooth plastic will do.



The rotating upper part of the warping mill is made up of two crossed frames. Each frame is 24 inches wide, and the whole rotating part is 36 inches tall. Each frame has a 7/8" hole in the top and bottom to allow it to fit over the pipe and to spin freely. 1/2" (nominal) black pipe has an outside diameter of .84 inches, and a 7/8" spade bit made a hole around .88 inches in diameter, so it fits nicely while still being loose enough to rotate freely.






 
A little wax on the bearing surfaces, and the whole thing moves smoothly.

1 comment:

tbijourney said...

Thanks for the update Christian. I understand now, couldn't see your "bearing" so didn't know how it turned. I'm looking forward to doing this project. I'm finishing up a warping board as soon as it's warm enough to glue the dowels in place in our shed. We're camper living until our new home is finished this summer so it makes it a bit challenging.