Friday, February 21, 2020

First Inkle is Complete in Varigated Green


First Inkle weaving is off the loom.
I used some"junk" yarn from my stash.  It's a chenille in variegated greens.
I still think it was a good choice for a first inkle where I could concentrate on the weaving and  rhythm and tension, and the yarn did all the color work.


 This is to show how much open fiber was left when I couldn't weave anymore.

I can't really call this loom waste, because it wasn't really wasted-- if you cut in the middle, you can use the remainder for braid or tassled ends.  In fact, I was surprised at how little was wasted.


You can also see how much take-up the the up-and-down of weaving takes up. The knob on the left was set in the middle of the slot when I started.  By the end of the weaving, it was as far right as it could go.

 
The most I could get on my inkle loom for warp was 110 inches.
I ended up with an inkle that was XX inches long.

 
Finished off with tassles.
I tried braiding the ends first, but I much prefer the tassles treatment.

This first inkle was a practice piece.
I knew I would need to work on finding the right tension.
In the photo above, the bit at the top is how things started out -- wide and sloppy.
It's the very same warp, with the same yarn, same number of strings, but by the end, I had it figured out, and things are nice and tidy by the finish.  It's considerably narrower, too.


Here they are laid on top of each other, and you can see the overhang at the beginning.
I probably should have taken that out, shortened it and started it further up, but I do see some value in keeping these practice pieces around, if only to show how far I've come -- how much I've learned -- and what NOT to do in future.

No comments: