Friday, August 20, 2021

3 Dogs in Applique: Golden

I purchased these Whole Country Caboodle dog kits on sale at Keepsake Quilting.  The fabrics come as a pre-cut fusible applique kit, so all you have to do is pick your own background, and lay out the pieces, fuse and stitch them down.  It went remarkably fast! Reminded me of doing Journal Quilts back in the day ...

They had all the favorite dog breeds for my family ... Golden Retrievers, French Bull Dogs, and last but certainly not the least: Newfies. 

The batting was pulled from my stash, unlabeled.  I think it's Warm and Natural, with zero loft. It will stay stable, not never sag.

I'll show you the details of the Golden Retriver here, and leave the other 2 for their own posts, otherwise this will get too long.  Each dog deserves it's own post!


Golden Retriever for my Dad on a background of evergreen trees, because he has a Christmas Tree Farm.


Thread choices.

 

Stitching and thread painting from the back.  It's a lot like drawing with a needle.

  

I had to study dog noses, to figure out what to do with that piece.  

Here's a practice drawing before stitching it out. 


 

Detail of the Golden Retriever. 

 

Detail of the background stitching.  Each dog got a slightly different treatment.  Dad's Golden got a loop-de-loop with stars. 

Even though these are all Christmas presents, I don't mind posting them here, because the recipients don't look at my blog, so I'm not worried about anyone spilling the beans ahead of time. ;-) 

See separate posts about all 3 Dog Quilties:         Golden          French Bull Dog       Newfie

No comments: