Sunday, August 15, 2021

Starlight 2; Another Quilt Finish Ready for Winter


This one might look familiar.  I gave away a similar one in January: Winter Blues.  But I was missing it, so I made another one.   ;-)

This one uses the same Brilliant Blues jelly roll strips, with a few additional strips to balance out the lights and darks.  The photo is yellower than the quilt actually is.

 

Hobbs Tuscany Wool Batting

This batting is doing more of what I envisioned. My first choice was a fat wool batt from the woolen mill in Appleton, but when I opened it to do the sandwiching last fall, it had more debris in it than I was comfortable with.  [Grumble Grumble -- Not good for his business. This is the first one I've had a problem with.]  By contrast, this mail-ordered batt from Hobbs is much better - blissfully clean by comparison, and I can sew through it, and it's washable.  I think I'll stick with Hobbs from now on.

Quilting Thread - Even the thread is a better match this time around.  Variegated Blue cotton in a 2-inch cross-hatch pattern, done entirely with the walking foot.


Snowflake Batik Backing Fabric

Blue Snowflake Batik -- I usually get batiks on sale at Hancock's of Paducah.  I buy 5 yards that I can cut in half and piece together for a nice wide backing -- big enough for the quilts I make (which are not usually Kings).   I was not able to get the same snowflake blue wide backing the other one had, so I went with this one.  The front of it had some additional metallic, but I opted to use the not silvered side for the backing.  It works!

Here you can also see the nice puff the Hobbs Tuscany Wool Batting gives when quilted


Bring on the snow!

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I love the simplicity of the quilting on this. I love a simple grid and I also love Hobbs wool batting.