Saturday, November 28, 2020

Farmer's Wife Blocks - 104 Wild Geese - 12 Broken Sugar Bowl - 9 Box

Block 104 - Wild Geese
 

Paper-pieced, except for the middle hourglass block.  

B&W Version

I realized a little too late that the green and blue were too close in value (as in, if this photo were black and white, you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference between those parts of the block).  First I made a blue and green hourglass block for the center, but felt it was too dark, so I made a second one with half cream to brighten it up.   The biggest question was which color to accentuate? The green or the blur?  I opted for blue.


Block 12 - Broken Sugar Bowl

 Not paper-pieced.  I'm not crazy about these kinds of half-square blocks, because they look sharp and pointy.  Yes-- like one of those crystal candy dishes. 

Not much to say about this one.  I did decide that if I used the same blue or green in all three blocks for the week, that it would be enough to tie into the overall quilt -- at least that's my theory today. 

Block 9 - Box

 Not paper-pieced.  Pretty straight-forward with half-square triangles.  The tines of the star create a rotary motion in and of themselves.  I used a scrap green for the center to bring even more movement and interest-- or maybe to slow it down, and make it a little more organic -- like ripples on water.

 

Tutorials from Handmade Karma for Week 11.

See Handmade Karma's full set of Farmer's Wife blocks and tutorials.

No comments: