Monday, November 23, 2020

More Face Masks because the Pandemic Rages On ...

Covid Face Mask. Version 2.3 
Using some of my most favorite Klimt fabric.
Also got a new smart phone, so I can actually take selfies now.

I've been making more face masks because the Covid pandemic continues ...  Hopefully, these will be the last ones I have to make.    

I came across this nifty DIY face mask support frame (made by Barb) back in September.  So simple, and it works so well!   It keeps the mask off your face so that you don't feel claustrophobic.  Even better -- It keeps your glasses from fogging up.  I wish I'd have found it sooner!  You can buy commercial ones, too. But these DIY versions work just as well.  You can use recycled plastic, or I used one of those cheap thin plastic cutting boards.  Very easy to cut and flexible -- and clean.   Here's the pdf version.  

 

I've also been seeing an extra flap of fabric over the bridge of the nose that helps prevent your glasses from fogging up.  So I've incorporated those innovations into the masks I'm making now. 

I still use the simple no pleat / gathered face mask pattern.   I really hated dealing with pleats, and the ties give your ears a break too.  We cinch it with a pony bead or one of those cord stoppers (What are they called?

 

Here is is with the mask spreader / sling inside.  It holds it's shape nicely.  Here you can also clearly see that simple little bead that makes it easy to cinch it up quickly and efficiently. 


Here is a shot of the inside, where you can see the filter pocket, along with the simple nose flap.  With the new nose flap, I don't think we need a nose wire.  This seems to be staying in the right place and keeping my glasses from fogging.  

We are using 5-ft boot laces for the cording.  It's soft, but maybe a little thick.

 

1 for CL, 2 for OKL, and 1 for my Dad. 


More masks: 2-3 for JLC and Bruce; 1 for KS.

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

First I've heard of these support frames. I may have to give one a try as I have one mask in particular prone to fogging up my glasses. I too am about to make a few more masks, trying out interesting designs that were not available when I made my first ones. One in particular I think is supposed to solve this glass fogging thing so I should get to it!