Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Weaving Yarns for more Circle Scarves




Ordered some new yarn from WEBS to make a few more of those circle scarves:


I could not bear to tear down the loom if it was all set up and "programmed" to make more of those delicious circle scarves.   I had the system down for keeping track of the 72 treadles changes in the pattern repeat.  Why not make more?  One problem:  Yarn Barn of Kansas didn't have any more of the yarns included in the kit (Jagerspun merino laceweight black and that red cashmere.)  So I went shopping with some birthday money ... and the webs discounts made the savings worthwhile esp. with these more expensive yarns. 

First I thought I could dye my own, but then remembered how hard it is to get a true black on wool.  Better just buy that one.  

Here's what I purchased:  

 

Valley Yarns 2/14 Alpaca Silk 

Alpaca and silk lace weight black on a 1/2-pound cone, suitable for weaving, and strong enough for warp.   I know what' I'll be doing next weekend!

 

Lorna's Laces Helen's Lace

Here's another lacewieght that I hope will be strong enough for warp someday.  I can dye this some other color if I so desire.  This is a mix of silk and wool (like I'm spinning at the wheel).  It was half price, and I couldn't pass it up.   Should be strong enough for warp and soft enough for weft.  I'll have to see about the weight.

 

Cashmere, merino and silk mixes in colors for the weft: red, green, and blue.

 This is a little more fuscia-y than anticipated.  Maybe a dip in a little Red Wine dye bath?
 
 
 
 

Didn't see the green in this when I ordered it. I was thinking it would be more of a singular blue ... Might not work for this project.

May the warping commence!