Tuesday, November 03, 2020

Kintsugi: Repairing a Broken Pot with Gold

I broke this pottery bowl we got as a wedding gift more than 20 years ago.  We've used it nearly every day of those 20 years which may be part of why I am reluctant to give it up.  Plus I love the blue glaze on the inside.  

I remembered hearing about how they repair broken pots in Japan with a seam of gold.  They call it Kintsugi.  It not only highlights the broken parts, but also makes the repaired cracks stronger.   Kind of like people, too ...

 


I tried it with plain old PVA Gorilla Glue to which I added a bit of pirate gold watercolor paint (That's what I had on hand, I I couldn't find my mica powders.)  Mixed up a small batch, and applied it with a popsicle stick.  Then we used painter's tape to hold it until it dried (30 minutes) and cured (24 hours). 

 


So far so good!  The painter's tape removed the gold paint that slopped out of the cracks, but I think I want to leave the other gold lines so

  1. that I remember to be gentle with it and 
  2.  It looks cool to see the gold lines.

 

 

We'll see how long it lasts!

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Beautiful bowl, no wonder that breaking it would cause pain, but add to its beauty its meaning as a wedding gift and one that you use all the time, well - tragedy! I salute you for trying a fix that will keep it with you.