This is my first attempt at rendering the photo in fabric.
I was pretty happy with it, but I thought his face looked kind of cartoonish. Not enough detail--even though it sort of looked like him in it's simplicity ...
I used tulle/netting to create the shading on his arm and on his face. This was a technique I picked up from a book on fabric collage by Susan Carlson. I really liked the way some of her pieces turned out. The netting creted some wonderful shading without making it look like a totally different pice of fabric--and it wasn't too hard to do with a little Steam-a-Seam 2 Lite.
His "Little Blankie" at his knees is made from scraps of another (more traditional) quilt I had made for Oliver.