Saturday, April 18, 2009

Felted Slippers


Aren't they lovely? ;-) Kind of reminds me of Elmo ...

I am not a knitter--just never could get past the stage of impossibly tight stitches. So I asked a co-worker and knitter (Thank you, Deb S.) to knit me a pair of these unusually large wool socks so I could felt them down into a pair of custom fit slippers. Instructions here.


Deb said her kids were laughing while she made these gigantic socks:
"So how big are this woman's feet?"
"Do these socks go OVER a pair of hunting boots?"

They need to be big because the felting process takes up the slack and thickens the fibers. This should give you an idea of how much bigger the big sock was (traced and cut out of white paper below) before felting. The finished felted slipper is sitting on top.

No comments: