Sunday, August 27, 2017

Woollee Winder : My New Toy


I've been thinking about this purchase for more than a year ...  been trying to convince myself that I didn't really need The Woolee Winder, that the hooks on my old flyer work just fine ...  And then I went and put in the order.  So much for disposable income!


It has these gears that run the loop up and down the flier arm, allowing the yarn to fill the bobbin evenly.  It does take a little getting used to. I had to loosen the brake considerably to avoid taking up too much wool too fast.
I think it will be great for plying.

Here's a shot of the old bobbins, wound with the old system of hooks.  It fills the bobbin very unevenly.  It hasn't really been a problem, but it does show a dramatic difference between the old system and the new Woollee Winder.

Here's a close-up of the newly plied yarn. Alpaca is a dream to spin!

I decided I needed to finish spinning this batch of alpaca roving on the old system for the sake of consistency.  Then I can use the Woolee Winder with abandon!

No comments: