Monday, May 28, 2018

Threading the Loom Front to Back, Starting with the Reed : Day 1


For the first time in 10 years (since I got my first little table loom and took a live class), I am attempting to thread the loom solo.  For the past 10 years, every time I attempted this, I always had someone along who actually knew what they were doing, and could guide me through each step.  Now with the revolution in online video tutorials, I am watching the vids, taking notes, and then doing it myself step-by-step.  During a recent Interweave sale, I was able to purchase several weaving videos for about $6 each, rather than the list price of $30.   Tom K. is a really good teacher!  I have his books for reference, too, but the videos help make it all make sense.

Beginning Weaving with Tom Knisley [Video Download $$]

Weave a Good Rug [Video Download $$]

The above photo shows Tom Knisley's recommended set-up for threading the loom front-to-back.  I know many people feel very passionate about how they get the warp onto their looms.  This seems to be working for me with the least amount of hassles.  So far, so good!

In the photo above, you can see the lease sticks are preserving my crosses.  When I ran the warp on my new home-made box warping mill, I did them in color blocks.  I did not follow the recommended color changes while I was warping -- again, this was a suggestion from the Tom K. videos.  It meant I didn't have to stop and think while I was winding the warp, which made the process so much easier!

I am using the iWeaveIt app on my iPad with an add-on for the app (well-worth the $6!) to help me keep track of the threading.  There's another one that can help you keep track of treadling, too.  It's pretty slick --  Once you thread the block of 4, you can tap the screen and it will move you to the next block to do.  It's so nice and hassle-free!  And designed to make it difficult to lose your place.

According to Tom K. you can wait until you get to threading your reed to set up your thread colors in the proper order.  You pick them off the cross as you need them.  In the video, he assures viewers that you won't wind up with a tangled mess.  I am going on faith that this will all work out ...   He was working from a single warp chain, and I'm working from 3.

Voila! That didn't take nearly as much time as I thought it would!
Order from chaos.  I do love this part of the process!

Now on to the next step of turning the reed around, so that the threads are pointed in the right direction to be threaded through the heddles next, and then tied on to the back beam.

But that will have to wait for a cooler day.

3 comments:

Mellowood Gallery said...

Wow - time consuming and complicated - good luck Michele

The Idaho Beauty said...

Boggles my mind . . . but I'm sure that if I was there beside you watching, it would all make sense! With online help at hand, I'm sure you will do fine on your first solo flight. love the colors.

Diane said...

I had never realized how much work or how detailed it was to do this. I honestly thought that it was much simpler. Thanks for sharing the 'behind the scenes' of weaving. Very interesting.