Sunday, October 21, 2018

Orange is for October : Little Things

I needed a new Kindle cover, as my old one was getting tired and shabby.  I still love that Klimt-inspired fabric, but it was time to retire it ...  No button this time, as it kept getting caught on things in my bag.  Though I have to say, that pretty little button was durable through the years. 

So instead, I worked up the Kindle cover above with the last of that orange and green fabric.  Makes me smile!

And this ... more orange and black!


Second, I added some color to the cuffs of a pair of jeans.


At Quilt Camp, one of the ladies, was wearing jeans leg cuffs embellished with embroidery.  I could have done that with the fancy stitches on my sewing machine -- when I got around to it. 
 
Instead, I spotted a roll of trim at St. Vinny's for $1.  Yes!  I thought : I have an easy way to add color to my jeans!  And cheaper than the gorgeous trim at La Droguerie in Toulouse, France.

[I know -- You young people don't like my baggy jeans, but hey-- You don't get to say what clothes I feel comfortable in.   And frankly, I like to see you cringe and squirm at the sight of it.  ;-)  That's the beauty of getting older--Not caring what other people think.  I hope you grow into that joy some day sooner than later.  It makes life so much easier! ]


And just because it's so orange, I am hearkening back to this image that I worked up in 2014 of a wonderful old walnut tree in my neighborhood (no longer here) and a Citrasolved National Geographic background. 

 Don't forget this Harvest Moon, also from 2014, though the branches of that same walnut tree.

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I just love that new kindle cover - it makes me smile too!

Your story of comfort over fashion reminds me of when I stopped worrying so much about fashion if it was crowding out function. I must have been in my mid-thirties, riding the bus every day to my job. I often was joined at the bus stop in the mornings by a few high school kids on their way to school. I definitely remember feeling quite smug, bundled in my coat, scarf and hat (and possibly boots) on cold blustery days, watching out the corner of my eye at those kids trying to look cool without shivering as they stood there coatless, hatless, scarfless, sometimes even in short sleeves. They weren't just "cool", but downright cold and starting to let their miserableness show. That was the moment that I vowed to never worry about how uncool I might look when defaulting to comfort.

I enjoyed seeing the walnut tree photos again - some of my favorites!