Sunday, February 24, 2019

Twisted Tube Socks on the Knitting Loom

 The Twisted Tube Socks are done and ready to wear!

Made on the knitting loom with a nice bulky acrylic and super-wash wool -- which means they are warm and washable.  I don't have to worry about the felting in the laundry.

 
 These would be considered slipper socks.  Nice and bulky and toasty warm.  
Too think to wear in a pair  of shoes, but they might work in boots. 



 
Bottom of the foot.

 Detail of the toe.  It's basically a 2-round draw-string type of closure.  
Seems effective for closing the end, with no holes from draw-down.


I've been anxious to try socks on the knitting loom.  After all,  it was watching those old mechanical sock looms work their mechanized magic that got me interested in knitting to begin with.  Socks have been on the wish list after mastering fingerless gloves / half-gloves.


So I thought I'd start with tube socks -- I know -- No one likes tube socks, "But this time it is by Shakespeare!"  Or rather this twisted variation that adds a nice design element to it.
The video for Twisted Tube Sock Variation is by Hypnotic Hysteria.  Very practical.  She seems to be left-handed, so I have to do a little translating to make the instructions work for me.  Not bad--and good practice to be in the minority sometimes. 

I am using the green Boye knitting loom (just like in the video) with 24 pegs.
Works great with a bulky yarn like this.


The yarn I chose is Yarn Bee Dream Spun - Color is Meadow Dream.  This appears to be comparable to the Lion Brand Unique she's using in the video.  It's a really nice bulky yarn that is 80% acrylic and 20% superwash wool-- which makes for washable socks.  


One sock took nearly 1 76-yard skein of this yarn--there was a little leftover.
  I love this colorway!

It kind of reminds me of a fish with scales and tale, or seaweed --maybe even Gillyweed? -- the way it's emerging fully formed from the bottom of the loom.

 

Voi la!

For future reference, here are Hypnotic Hysteria's video tutorials on how to make these Loom Knit Twisted Tube Socks, plus the Variation.



 

No comments: