Thursday, May 28, 2020

Red Barn Socks for my Dad


I finished this pair of "Red Barn" socks for my Dad, mostly during time spent in vigil with my mom's failing health the past 5 months.  At those times, I like to make something of comfort to support the spouse who is losing their dearly beloved (in this case, my Dad).    It gives my hands something to do, too, when I can't concentrate on reading.


One Christmas a few years ago, I'd given him a really nice pair of (purchased) wool socks.  He loved them!   Which is why I knew he would appreciate a pair that I made for him, too.



 Wilton's Red Yarn Recovered
Here is the yarn I used, dyed last year.

When I asked my dad what color socks he wanted, without missing a beat, he said RED.   All righty, then.  Remember those balls of yarns I dyed multiple times with multiple reds until I got something I liked.    That was it!  All those layers of different reds brought a nice depth and luster to the final yarn.  I love it now!  Makes me want to dye up a few more balls  of yarn.

They knitted up to be a fine and sturdy pair of socks.  And the color really does remind me of red barns on the Wisconsin rural landscape.


The specifics of the standard pattern, resized for my Dad's foot:    
     Use the CinDWood Knitted Knocker Loom 56 pegs 1/4 inch
     Kitchener Cast-on (I like this because it feels like weaving, and leaves a seamless join on the bottom of the foot.)
     Work the toe box with with 10 decreases / increases
     Then start working in the round for  80 rows (This was a little long for him.  70-75 might have been enough.)
     Work the heel with 12 decreases / increases on the opposite half of the toe
     Work in the round 60 rows for leg (a little longer for boots)
     For Ribbed Cuff: 30 rows of 2 Knit and 2 Purl
     Super Stretchy Bind off.

I used up as much of both balls of yarn as I could, as he wanted a higher leg so he could wear it in boots.

I finally got smart about marking the pegs so that I would knit and purl on the right pegs for the ribbing on the cuff.  That worked out very well.  Then I can just knit on autopilot and not have to think purling when I should be knitting.


  

Toasty - Warm - and Comfy 

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

That yarn worked up great - these look super!