Sunday, July 25, 2021

Holly's Hollyhocks

Holly's Hollyhocks 

by Holly Matucheski

This is one of my mom's wall quilts.  Visiting my Dad this weekend to clear out more of my mom's sewing room, I found it, and hung it on the wall -- July being the season for Hollyhocks.  I am also lamenting the fact that my own crop of Hollyhocks did not grow this year.  Sigh!

 To my knowledge, my mom did not keep track of or document her quilts, so in the coming months, I'm going to start featuring some of her quilts here.


Detail Shot of Hollyhocks

I want to say that she designed this herself, but I don't know that for sure.  I have a vague recollection that she worked this up on her own ...  I have not seen a pattern for it.  There is no label on the back of this quilt. 

Donations of fabric, kits, and patterns this week will go to:

  • Wisconsin Warmers
  • Linus Project
  • Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother
  • Lakeside Quilt Guild Charity Quilts
  • Lakeside Quilt Guild

 

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

How lovely it must be to have your mother's work hanging for all to enjoy. It's a beautiful replacement for the real thing you are lacking. Looking forward to seeing more of her quilts. My own mother did not feel she was any good at hand crafts although I know she was. I think she let herself be overshadowed by a sister who could make clothing from her own patterns or by taking apart readymades. And also by some of her aunts who did a lot of fine crochet, tatting and embroidery work, some of which have been passed down to me. I do have a few things she dabbled in but wish I had more.