Tuesday, November 02, 2021

Bargello with a Twist - Voices of My Quilting Ancestors

Holly's Bargello with a Twist Block Quilt

In the latest round of clearing out my mom's sewing room, I found this quilt top, never finished.  I brought it home and hung it on my design wall ...  Now I recognize it from this book:

Bargello Quilts with a Twist by Maggie Ball

Years ago, my mom and Aunt Rosita had taken a class to learn to make some of these quilts.  I really liked them, but was not able to take the class.  

 

Rosita gave me her quilt top from the class, which I quilted and finished it in 2010.   It's the same as on the cover of the book.  I quilted it with a wavy corner-to-corner matrix pattern using my walking foot.

I never knew what happened to Ma's quilt from that class.  Apparently, it got stuffed into a corner of her sewing room for me to find after she died.  ;-)  It's ok -- I'll finish this one, too.    

Do I call it Holly's Bargello if it was apparently not one she liked enough to finish?   I would only add her name to the title so as to document the provenance -- It's not a quilt top I made.

Now I'm wondering why neither of them finished these Bargello Twist quilts?  Was it that big of a pain to make them?  The basic block looks simple enough, with so  many possibilities for the layouts--kind of like Huck Lace!    Was the book hard to follow?   Did they get dizzy looking at the blocks for so long?  Was the teacher not so great?   Bad classmates?  Did something happen in the class?  Are they cursed?   Yes-- I've turned the Speculator up to 10, but now it's time to let all that go ...  

I have a "new" quilt top to sandwich and finish up!

 Rosita - me - and  my Mom (Holly) back in the day ...

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I love that picture of the three of you, and how much you and your mother look alike.

I had to go check my bookshelf to see if I had this book. I knew I'd bought one years ago that showed a different approach to bargello. But it turns out it is not this one but one by Marge Edie called A New Slant On Bargello Quilts. Did I ever make something from it? No, but I have a piece of graph paper stuck inside in the "Basics" section that shows how to design a curve and get it charted. Lovely curve I drew on it with it going sideways rather than the usual up and down orientation. From my color notes I see I was envisioning a beach scene. Hmmm. So many ideas we never get to!