Saturday, October 21, 2023

Red Barn and a Coverlet in Northern Michigan


 

Red Barn in Northern Michigan, October 2023. [Waterlogued]

I took a short vacation last week to Traverse City, Michigan, spending time with my oldest friend.   We took a horse-drawn wagon ride through the woods in full autumn splendor.  There were some classic red barns along the way ...

 

Red Barn in Northern Michigan, October 2023. [Waterlogued]  

 

Here are the horses at Fantail Farm in  Benzonia, MI.

Janna is wearing the blue alpaca scarf I made for her a few years ago on the Triangle Loom.

Autumn was in full bloom while we were there!



We also did some beach combing in search of Petoskey stones, which Michigan is known for.  

These stones are millions of years old, made from coral.  We found a few, but will need to spend some time polishing them up to show their full beauty.

 

We also stopped at a historic lighthouse that had been run by a woman, Sarah Lane.  

There was a cabin on the property ...  I was delighted to see this coverlet on display! 


 

Back at my house, Janna got to do some weaving on The Mary Meigs Loom. 

 

Old Friends Together Again!   

We are old enough now to wear cool hats, too!

3 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Love the "waterlogued" photos and the one of the stand of trees turned reminds me of the view from our Wisconsin property where we had our house built. On the other side of the state from you but oh so much the same.

Leigh said...

Good friends are truly one of life's treasures.

The waterlogue effect is wonderful. I don't have a smart phone, but I wonder if I could somehow do that on Gimp.

Michele Matucheski said...

Sheila-- I was amazed at how similar the "North Woods" of Michigan was to where I grew up in north central WI. Until this year, I've never really been to Michigan, other than passing through the airport -- That Great Lake Michigan in the way is a huge barrier and driving around takes too long -- and I'm not fond of driving through Chicago either. I'm a country mouse at heart!