Saturday, September 04, 2010

Eddie Vedder : Tattooed Everything



I have long-been a fan of Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam. I loved Eddie's hair in the early 1990s. I realized then that great hair didn't "just happen." I'm sure he worked at it.



Here it is at a distance, with the clutter of my studio edited out. ;-)



This is the pattern I started with, edges outlined in red as directed by Maria Elkins in the Quilting Arts instructions for Beginning Portraits. The photo is from a concert version of Black. "Tattooed Everything" is a line from the song.



The poster-ization process made a mess out of Eddie's hair, so I actually did that part manually with my own two eyes and a pencil. This pattern is a hybrid. I'm planning to take a Quilt Whispering class later this fall, so that will help me plan out the quilting (and thread painting?) for these small pieces. They are only 8-1/2 x 11 inches. Here's the "New Oliver" Portrait I did a few weeks ago. I'm really happy with this technique! This one uses the same color way as The New Oliver portrait. The burgundy plaids cried out grunge to me and wanted to be part of the Eddie piece. A couple of fat quarters go a long way on such small pieces.

No comments: