Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sewing Cradle - Or "What the Heck IS a Sewing Cradle?"


Sweetie made me a sewing cradle for book binding. ;-)
I can't believe I have NOT had one up until now.

Instructions for making one of your own are available here from TJ Book Arts.


I was facing a pile of paper signatures, all needing to be punched with holes so they could be bound into my hand-made journals. Lots of stress on my body to this by hand, and I was not looking forward to it.


But with the new sewing cradle, I was able to punch all these holes in less than 20 minutes. AND I was not in pain afterwards! I was to amazed with this simple little tool!

Here's how it works :


Lay the paper signature to be punched in the cradle. Be sure everything is lined up properly.


Add the template where the holes are pre-measured and already punched. This acts as a guide so you don't have to measure and mark every single signature set. Another handy innovation!

Line everything up, and use the awl to punch the holes through the template, and through the paper signature (10 pages of paper). The cradle holds everything steady, and prevents you from poking holes that are too big. The wood has a different feel from the paper when you punch it, so you know when to stop.

It works just as well for punching the holes through the covers as well :




Holes punched, and ready to bind the paper signatures.


I just like the way the paper lined up from the side. Kind of reminds me of the vaulted ceilings in churches ...

Stay tuned ... I'll be posting the new journals shortly.

If you're in the area, I'll be selling my hand-made journals at a Holiday Craft Sale
on Saturday December 3, 2011
9 am - 2:00 pm
at The Fox Valley Unitarian Universalist Fellowship
2600 East Phillip Ln.
Appleton, WI.

Lunch and sweets will also be available. It's a great bunch of local artisans. Join us!

No comments: