Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Waterlogued

My Darling Maggie

The Beyond Beyond Lesson this week involved tips for using a Wacom Tablet.  Since I don't have one, I decided to pull out my iPad and play with some of the apps I haven't gotten around to ...  I decided that I should buy a stylus (This one or this one?) to make some of the sketchbook apps work better than with my finger. 

Waterlogued is a fun app-- a bargain at $2.99 offering hours of fun, running a dozen of my pictures through the various filters.   I even stayed up way past my bed time on a "school" night.  It turns a photo into a watercolor painting.  In less than minute, you see the app draw a sketch, choose colors, mix and apply watercolor paints.    Very satisfying -- and no mess to clean up!

In the picture at the top of this post, you see my darling Newfie, Maggie.  She is difficult to photograph 1) because she's shy and 2) she's so darn black.  In most pictures she looks like a puddle of black, so this shot was kind of a test to see what the Waterlogued App could do with it.  This is the "Rainy" filter.  I'm happy!


Most of the people pictures didn't work so well, but this one did.   I've had this picture since last summer at the Bristol Ren Faire.  This is the accordion player for the band Vana Mazi. (You didn't realize accordians were around in the Renaissance, did you? [Wink!]  I haven't quite figured out what to do with this photo--the usual texture treatments haven't quite worked on it.   But this is quite nice!  This is the "Travelogue" Filter.

Here are some more pictures from my play time with Waterlogued.  I think I still have an Instagram account.  Maybe I should post these?

Tulips with Travelogue  Filter  (with Yellow toned back a bit.)

Here's something I might actually be able to paint in real life!   Watching the process does give me some ideas for how to do it, if I ever wanted to do more watercolor painting.     This one could actually be put through a few more processes.  That open background in begging for additional treatments!  This one may come back again ...

Bumble Bee on a Thistle

For those of you who have been reading my blog for a while, you may recognize this phot of my friend Sandy one Fall day ...  I couldn't decide which version I liked better.  
Color Boom vs. Travelogue filters.  I'm leaning toward the Color Bloom ...

 
French Bike with Travelogue Filter
 
French Bike with "Rainy" Filter

Saucison in France with the Rainy Filter

One of the Oshkosh Public Library Lions.

Jump in! The water's fine!

1 comment:

Diane said...

I really like how these turned out using an app! I love that one of the girl playing the accordian and definitely wouldn't attempt to use a texture because it's perfect as-is. Textures just don't suit many pictures, in my mind. I really like the experimentation you've done here - bravo!