Sunday, September 17, 2017

Home-Built Hackle and Comb Set for Processing Raw Fleece


Last spring, I purchased a beautiful clean and fluffy cream-colored alpaca fleece from Sabamba.  It's so nice and fluffy and relatively clean that I have been reluctant to actually wash it like regular sheep's wool.  The alpaca fleece does not have the grease that sheep wool has.  And I learned that alpaca fleece is even more prone to felting during the washing phase than regular fleece.  That said, many spinners prefer to wash alpaca fiber AFTER it's been spun into yarn.

I came across the following video that was very helpful, and gave me the idea to build my own :



This blog post from Moonsong Fiber Works was also very helpful in providing the basic plans for making my own comb and hackle set.

 No-- It's not a medieval torture device.  It's a DIY Hackle for processing wool.
Cherry wood and nails.

My husband accepted the challenge.  He studied the plans and made a supply list.   He was also convinced he could improve upon it ...


Here is the accompanying wool comb.  He realized after he was done that the short nails should be on the bottom.  I said I'll see how this works ...  If I have trouble with it, he can switch the handle around.


Truth be known : The Wisconsin Wool and Sheep Festival was coming up, and I did not want to be tempted to purchase more equipment (more than $250 for a purchased set) if I could make it myself.  That means more money to spend on fiber!

No comments: