Saturday, November 04, 2017

What would you do?

Here's where I wish I still had my old Art Quilt Group to bounce ideas onto.  
I am in need of an art consult ...  What would you do? [Sheila at Idaho Beauty-- I know you'll have some suggestions!]

I was going to sandwich this quilt top at Quilt Camp in a few weeks, but I'm feeling like it needs more work (surface design) before it goes under the needle ...

 This is the Curry and Red Spice Quilt Top. 

Can you picture it with the following mandala stencil on it?  It's supposed to be 23 inches wide.
The next question is : What medium?  Some kind of transparent paint? What color?



I've been toying with the idea of putting a crane on it in silhouette as I did here :
This was a small journal quilt, and I don't think a bigger-than-life crane will work very well on a bed-size quilt.  It would be monstrous.  And the paint I used here was too opaque, I think.   
Maybe Dyna-Flow or even those oil crayons we had to buy when they were hot ...  But what color?

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Give me some time to think about it. My first thought was some kind of overall stamping like Cynthia St Charles does, and she does it on some pretty big quilts. So the stencil suggestion made sense to me. I'm not crazy about the Shiva Oil sticks and not sure how they hold up to washing. If this is bed-size, I'm assuming you plan to wash it now and then. I've just bought some Malibu Textile paints to try - they come in both translucent and opaque and I bought the opaque because I've been having trouble getting the coverage I want with my acrylic paints.

I think you are on the right track, just need to refine what kind of images you want to add and how. Again, I recommend looking at Cynthia's work and I'll get back to you after I ponder for a bit.