Saturday, December 30, 2017

Avalanche Alpaca Hat Finished

 
Detail of the crocheted cables and popcorn stitches.

I started this hat a few months ago with a few rounds a week.  Some new stitches for me, or rather simple variations on the basics of single crochet and double crochet.  Reading the pattern was a little bit of a challenge, but I worked though it, and it does look something like the photo on the pattern.

The pattern is from Crochet Garden on Etsy  : Rugged Mountain Hat Collection for Men.



I spun the yarn last year from a bag of alpaca roving from Sabamba Alpaca Farm.  Really nice stuff! It' is unbelievably soft and warm.  It's dense, too.  Tested at -11 degrees F.

 What immense satisfaction to know that I could create this straight from the alpaca fiber to yarn to making a practical and useful item!

DH says he wants one, too.  I told him it would take a while to spin the yarn from roving again ... He's willing to wait for it.

Toasty and warm!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just finished checking out your website - absolutely stunning! My word, the colors, textures, plant life just dance off the page, or rather, the fabric! And what is that beautiful border that looks like ferns and mosses? Love the pair of alpacas - and their generous donation to your weaving. No surprise Christian is asking for his own head warmer! My projects are far smaller in scope. My daughter asked me to sew her a bag for her yoga mat - using an octopus print. I found what I liked from Spoonflower.com. One can order any print offered, then choose from more than a dozen different materials. They also invite artists to submit their designs and, I believe, print that design on whatever fabric one chooses. I think you can also sell your designs on their website. I have a lot of fun w/my smart phone camera. My two kitties are game for wearing headgear and just letting me capture the many expressions and moods of the feline. Quilt on, Michele! You’re amazing!

Elaine

Michele Matucheski said...

Thanks, Elaine. It’s those creative outlets that keep me sane!



The border in the background of Sweet Leaf Notebook is some surface design work I did with old National Geographic pages and Citrasolve. It has the power to dissolve the ink and make it run, then you can make different designs in it. This was one of the best pages, and because it was green like Sweet Leaf, I made it the background. ;-) Thanks for asking.



Good luck with your daughter’s octopus yoga matt bag. I think I put octopuses on the back of a baby quilt last year. ;-) They are brilliantly smart creatures! I read a book about them last year …



Michele