Thursday, December 28, 2017

Color Gamp is off the loom


It's a big deal to take a project off the loom.  This color gamp has been done for a few months now, but I've been reluctant to do the next steps just because I wasn't sure how long it would be before a new project got warped and ready to go ...

There it was -- the moment of truth ...  cutting it off the loom, and opening it to see a double layer of fabric -- open and true, not stuck together in any place.  

This was a kit from The Yarn Barn in Kansas - Shetland Wool Color Gamp.  I turned it into a double weave just because the working weaving width of my loom is only 30 inches (or so).

There are few things to repair and correct -- a few warp strings popped and broke along the way.  I was getting good at repairing them as they happened, but some on the bottom layer were harder to see and fix. 

Then there's the wet-finishing.

I was also interested in seeing how the colors worked with or against each other in the warp and weft.  It was a worthwhile project as a color study.

 Here is is fresh off the loom.  Like magic, you open it, and the fabric opens and it's twice as wide.  Wow!  It worked!

The 2nd half looks much nicer than the first half.  By then I had figured out how to repair broken warp strings, and the tensioning, and beating.

The first half needs a few small repairs where warp strings broke on the underside, and I didn't realize it until too late ...   Once I get those repairs done, I'll be able to hem the ends, and then do the wet finishing. 

 Here are some of the sample color blocks.  Again, it's a color ctudy, so you can see how each color interacts with the warp and weft in all the other colors.  Pretty neat.



 Here's the fold.  I'm hoping this settles down with the wet-finishing.  



After a few minor repairs where I had to re-thread some broken warp strings, and hemming the ends, I was ready to do the wet-finishing.  It softened up nicely.


Very interesting to see how the colors interact and "play" together, or not.