Sunday, September 30, 2018

Slow Work : Turned Under Applique Flowers for the Morningstar Quilt

This should really pop on a black background!

I've been trying to think of an easier way to do the applique for the Morningstar Quilt.  I decided against the technique of raw edge fusible applique (my usual method).  This is going to be more of an heirloom piece, will be washed more than a wall hanging, and would need more stability -- hence I am biting the bullet and investing the time to build these flowers with a technique I learned from WendyButler-Berns in a workshop many years ago.

She taught us to use freezer paper templates and a glue stick to build the pieces.  It works!  I've put together a kit with scratch paper to use as a blotter (1 per flower), the glue sticks, baby wipes, scissors, the freezer paper templates, the fabrics, a model to follow ...

I have to make 8 small flowers and 4 large ones.  Then I can start working on the filigree in between.
1 step at a time ...


Maybe I  can work on these in the evenings before supper?  I hate to take precious weekend time.



2 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Glad to hear you will not be raw edge/fusing the applique. These will be so beautiful! Will these be machine stitched to the quilt top?

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele,
Boy, was I surprised to see your latest project: I have been working on that same quilt!
I actually started it last summer. It was to be a fund raiser project for the Missions for my church. So I bought the quilt kit and thought I could find 7 more women to help me. No, I was wrong! One by one they have given me back the pieces and parts! I even did all the Applique prep myself and handed it to them in little baggies. So now I will finish it by myself. I have the four big appliques and two small ones fininshed. The last two are nearly 1/2 finished. I am going on a Retreat the last weekend of Oct. and may take it along to do the star part. The strips are cut out for that but no sewing as yet.
I saw the picture of your long star part. Very nice.
I saw one of these Lone stars at the Quilt show in Hattiesburg last weekend. She had quilted it with gold thread. Only gold thread. And lots of quilting. She had some puckers in it. She didn't win a ribbon. And she had a price tag of $1,700.00 on it. I had hoped we could raffle the one for the church and raise some money. But sitting at Walmart, all day in the blazing sun, is not doing it for me! (You have to remember where I live now, Way down in Southern Mississippi where it is hot, hot, hot!!! and not many people)

Anyway, I just had to write and tell you that I saw your quilt. I just love getting your news about all the stuff you are doing. Thanks for keeping me in the loop!

I miss our group. I found a group called Southern Fiber Artists. They meet in Jackson, MS every third month. It has been wonderful to belong to that group. I believe you could look them up on Facebook. You will be amazed!

Let me know what you think!
Theresa Busse Wege