Monday, September 24, 2018

Spinning into Infinity : Embellishments on my Old Spinning Wheel



With the new Schacht-Reeves Saxony spinning wheel coming in a few weeks, I wanted to show my old Louet S90 wheel some love.  I'm still using it regularly, and probably will even after the new wheel arrives just because it's portable and compact. The new wheel won't be so portable. 

I got this lovely vinyl wall decal via Etsy.  I wanted a non-permanent way of decorating my spinning wheel.    This option had some obvious reversible benefits over painting with a stencil. 


I choose the burgundy color with the idea of adding some gold or copper highlights with a sponge before installing the decal on my wheel.  I didn't wind up doing that after all, as I was afraid the added layer before installation would mess up the adhesive in the installation process.  As it was, the hardest part was peeling up the backing paper.  It was relatively quick and easy to apply the decal.  ;-)

This is the 18-inch version.  My wheel is just over 19 inches in diameter.
I laid it on the wheel, and pressed down as per the instructions.  Then I took an exacto knife and cut out the parts with the holes / no wood.   Though it occurred to me later that I might have been able to wrap some of those edges.  The hardest part was peeling off the backing paper, so take your time with that step.

Didn't have this brilliant idea in time to do it up for The Sheep and Wool Festival earlier in the month.


Here's a short video showing the mandala in action.  The maple on the solid wheel really does flash like that as the light hits the different facets in the wood.  It's really a neat effect! 

The music in the background is from Cindy Kallet and Grey Larsen.  The song is called "Opus 53. " I was lucky enough to hear them at a house concert last night in our neighborhood -- a small gathering of less than a dozen people.    And yes, I did buy some of their music.  Check out Grey's The Orange Tree, and their Welcoming CD.   ;-)