Monday, January 03, 2022

My Kessenich Loom Gets The Royal Treatment with a New Wool Rug Under Her Feet

The Kessenich Loom gets a new rug!
Royal red, wool - fancy.  Looks like they were made for each other!

This rug had been in the closet for years, after coming to us when my in-laws moved into assisted living.  Previously there were 2 smaller rugs underneath the loom, but they kept separating underneath.

This is a much better size for her as she can sit completely on the 1 rug now.  I'm sure they'll be very happy together!

 

Donna Schou, a friend and Soul Sister from work died suddenly last summer.  (Not Covid.)  When she retired 7 years ago (or so), she dove into things she'd always wanted to do and learn -- like weaving.  This week, I saw that her husband is selling her looms on Facebook Marketplace.  She had a beautiful Norwood 45-inch floor loom and a big triangle loom.  I know in the past, we had talked about how the loom chooses the weaver -- kind of like the wands in Harry Potter [I know the author has been cancelled because she's a transphobe, but the books remain and have been a welcome place for many people on the margins ...  The books themselves are more than / have gone beyond the author, but that's a whole other conversation.]

Seeing my friend's loom up for sale -- a loom in search of a new owner / partner -- makes me wonder about the history of my own loom. I know she's older than me.

Like my cars, I bothered to name my loom-- With a large piece of machinery, it more of a partnership.  You have to learn to trust each other.  Her name is Dana, after a strong and wonderful character in an Octavia Butler book which I was reading at the time I was getting to know this loom.

Brass Name Plate on my Kessenich Loom
Although they were in 'Tosa years ago, now The Kessenich Company is in Allergen, Michigan.

Kessenich. Red Oak Wood (Makes me think of Cherry).   Heavy.   Solid. Versatile.  Made in Wautatosa, WI.

I got her from a friend who seems to collect looms.  She got it from a couple in Neenah who were getting older and couldn't keep it anymore.  Here's what she told me about my loom:

I don't know a lot about the history of your loom. I bought it from an older gentleman when it didn't sell at a garage sale. He and his wife wove textiles for sale at local markets. It looked like they did some rose path weaving. The gentleman was quite pleased with the loom. He told me several times that the loom wove very well and that it was an easy loom to use. He is right! He also said that it would weave anything from lace to rugs. Again. He is right. He clearly loved the loom, but life had taken him to a place where he could no longer weave. 

I have come to love and trust this loom, too. ;-)  

I paid a whopping $300. Lynda only asked me to pay the fire sale price she paid for it.  A new loom of this variety lists for $2900.  I know I got a deal!  And I am ever so grateful to be able to keep this loom weaving.  ;-)

No comments: