Saturday, January 29, 2022

World Market Part 1: Indian Kantha Quilts


A few weeks ago, I made an impulse buy.  The ads inserted on my Pinterest feed finally hit the mark.  I'd been seeing these Bohemian (Well, my ancestry is indeed part Bohemian -- How did they know? Ha!)  Kantha Quilts from Embroidery Indian Art on Esty, made from recycled sari silk.   I'd even seen a video of the women working on stitching the quilting lines by hand with big bold straight line stitches ...  Looks like it goes relatively fast.

The top is recycled Sari silk cut into squares and patch-worked together, and the back is cotton.  No batting, so it should make a nice summer quilt.

The cost seemed very reasonable.  I ordered 1 twin for the living room and 1 queen for the bedroom.  If the queen was too big, I could stitch it smaller to fit my bed.  Mostly, I was interested in studying the silk ... and figure out what is a Kantha Quilt, anyway.

The colors were pretty -- I had a hard time deciding between the green, blue or purple quilts. I finally settled on blue and cream.  I was pleased to see the blue quilt was not just blue, but also contained some greens, purples, even oranges along with the blue.   


 

I also got the cream one.   I was pleased to see that both of them had more colors in them than advertised. 

 

These silk Kantha quilts make me happy!

No comments: