Thursday, March 24, 2022

DIY Yarn Swift: Another Woodworking Fiber Project

In preparing for new weaving projects, I found myself having to reformat multiple skeins of yarn into balls -- because you can't run a warp from a skein.  Unfortunately, my little DIY yarn winder wasn't quite up to the job ...  I think there might be something stuck in the ball bearings underneath the turntable.  It wasn't turning smoothly. ;-(



I have another old metal one that my friend Lynda gave me. It worked, but it's difficult to figure out how the arms move.   Perhaps that's why the previous owner gave it up?


So I started looking for some alternatives and found this lovely Lacis 19-inch umbrella swift for a very reasonable price on etsy.  Completely adjustable and it folds down for storage.  It's bigger than I thought, but that's fine!  I made a little storage bag for it.


Before I found the umbrella swift, I saw this one and asked DH to make one for me.  The base will be similar to my warping wheel.  It's another example where they ask way too much money for what it is -- if you go to buy one.  He thought he could make this one easily enough -- but I'd have to wait until after taxes are done.  The plans are here if you are interested ... 

DIY Instructables

No comments: